Saturday, February 21, 2009

Prayer of the Week and Instant Bible Study: The Prodigal Son

Here is the latest Prayer and Study from Father Andrew. To receive 1 credit for this activity, e-mail your response to both Father Andrew, oandrey(at)stlukeorthodox(d0t)com and myself, else10(at)gmail(d0t)com.

Prayer:
Let us pray to the Lord. Lord, have mercy.

O Lord, You have given us an example from both the Old and New Testament of what it means to repent for our sins. The book of Proverbs warns us against the results of riotous living. We as a nation have left our father's house and squandered our inheritance in extravagant living. We all need to repent and return. During this Lenten season may we come to ourselves and thank you for what we have received by being generous to the poor and beginning a new life in our father's house, the Church. We pray in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

Bible verse:
Luke 15:21 (NKJV) And the son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.”

Bible question:
How did the prodigal son sin against heaven?

2 comments:

mcb said...

The son sinned against heaven by living only for the earth - taking his inheritance and spending it in riotous living with harlots - and forgetting to live for/with God. The sin of the prodigal is similar to the sin of Adam. By focusing on worldly materiality, the son offends the spiritual world of God.

carmen said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Elaina

http://www.craigslistpostingtools.info