Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Hexameron by St Basil the Great

The Hexameron by Basil the Great (329-379)
The Hexameron is the title of nine homilies delivered by St. Basil on the cosmogony of the opening chapters of Genesis.... They are Lenten sermons, delivered at both the morning and evening services, and appear to have been listened to by working men. Some words in Homily 8 have confirmed the opinion that they were preached extempore, in accordance with what is believed to have been Basil's ordinary practice.... In earlier ages, it was the most celebrated and admired of Basil's works. ... "Whenever I take his Hexameron in hand," says Gregory of Nazianzus, "and quote its words, I am brought face to face with my Creator: I begin to understand the method of creation: I feel more awe than ever I did before, when I only looked at God's work with my eyes."

— from the Editor's Introduction

Read this classic online at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library (CCEL).
Read more works by this author at the CCEL.

Receive 2 credits when you read this work and submit a completed General Worksheet for books to else10(at)gmail(d0t)com. May your reading be blessed!

1 comment:

Jeremiah Taluzek said...

Love the Hexæmeron!